View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This is how I see the situation personally,

There's two parts to this...
The legalities, legal hunt with a legal weapon. That's black and white.

The portrayal, what the video captured and portrayed and the fact that their should have been some skillful editing selecting the appropriate footage and this whole thing could have been presented much differently...or perhaps not presented to the general public at all.

Any Hunter knows what can and will happen...not every animal dies immediately and with "primitive" means, wound channel and blood loss is by and large what allows us to be successful.

Do we really need to show the world that aspect? We should focus on the other areas of the hunt and portray things differently IMHO. The way this hunt was portrayed and delivered to the masses should be a tutorial in what NOT to do, regardless of the legality issue IMHO.

LC
Well said Lefty.

Watching some of the programs on Wild TV, the hunt is portrayed ethically, and the hunter has respect for the animal he/she has harvested. Others - which I only watch ONCE - portray us in a not so positive light. I have not seen the spear hunting video, nor do I care to.

When I lived in Alberta, I was a member of the AFGA. I did not agree with all of their policies and decisions, but I never walked away. I stepped up and took a leadership position in my club. I made my position known, and did what I could to make my concerns known to AFGA executive. As others have said, there always seemed to be few who would step up and take a leadership position, leaving the same few to continue on in executive positions. Without new people stepping up and bringing forth their ideas, status quo remains. If we want change we have to be part of the solution.

I am not sure how to resolve the spear hunting issue, but I do know that unless we stand together, we will eventually lose the opportunity to hunt, fish, and participate in other outdoor pursuits we are passionate about.

Mr Conservation