View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindey View Post
I'm a crazed smoker myself, have a couple of different kinds and in the process of building a wood cold smoke house.
To obtain the best results with a smoker I strongly recommend researching 'brining'. This will infuse the meat with moisture and the result will be moist tender meat.
There is the issue of what kind of wood to use as well. Fruitwoods work well with poultry and heavier smokes like mesquite work well with red meats.
I would recommend joining a forum and looking for good starter recipes. Besides the forums are free. Google "smoker recipes"
There are fantastic spice rubs, brines, marinades and lots of books out there too. Making your own recipes is much cheaper too. Join an online cooking site for lots of ideas.
Or,,,, I flew to Phoenix, Texas, South Carolina on vacations and two smoking/bbq courses at each state, it was the best thing ever, learned an amazing amount of stuff. Banquet pit boyz has a great site fir recipes as well, so does Bradley. I prefer injecting to brining except fish and hams. As for the wood, to each their own, I dont think any wood taste different then another, smell different of course and most people mix up taste and smell but that's normal. If you run any kind of pellet smoker, be ware of the brand you choose, treiger pellets are hard wood flavoured with oils and it coats your grill with black tar, gmg pellets are actual flavoured wood.Low and slow is the way, in Canada bbq is a tool, in the southern states it's a life style. Let's not confuse grilling with bbq. What kind of smokers are you running?. I have a Bradley 6 rack with a fan mod and a dual element mod mounted in an insulated shed built for it and two green mountain grills for everything except jerky and cheese. Got an amazing brisket recipe I'd share with anyone that I picked up in South Carolina.