View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

ok guide, you are pro draw or more time between tags. yup, that would reduce hunter numbers, and therefore provide more mature rams in those areas. so far so good. but then you argue both sides again. guys would complain about only getting to hunt every 5 years or so. well, you cant have it both ways. there are more guys wanting rams than there are rams out there. without limiting hunters on the mountain, bigger rams isnt going to happen. then, im not positive, but i think you say you dont want to leave any areas of the province off the draw? you point out that if that were the case, those areas left general would see increased pressure. well thats true, but those areas would hold barely legal rams which you say you are not interested in, so who cares? that situation already exists in alberta with other species. there are general mule deer zones in alberta that have very very few older mature big antlered bucks. near medicine hat, there are supposed draw zones that also hold nothing but small bucks. i say supposed because although you have to apply for a draw, you can be drawn every year because there are so many tags handed out. often it is normal to see more hunters than deer in these zones. sound familiar? yet in some zones managed for trophy bucks there are wait times of up to 5 years to get a tag, and there are numerous trophy bucks to choose from. furhtermore, there are less other hunters to compete with. as a trophy hunter, i am willing to wait longer to try for a big buck, yet there are opportunities for the meat hunters as well. thats all im asking for with the sheep. i dont need to be greedy and ask for the entire province, but please SRD....give me someplace to have a decent opportunity to have a quality hunt for big mature rams.