Thread: Catch and Eat
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Fishing isn't just about food. Sport fishing is a tourism industry, and without a responsible catch and release mindset it would not exist. People travel all over Canada supporting other communities. Heck, people travel to Canada to come take part in fishing here. If limits were opened up and a catch and keep mentality was promoted it would deplete the numbers and not be sustainable. Sure you could make it a daily limit of 1 or 2, but if one was required by law to keep what they catch then nobody is going to bother spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to go on a trip to catch one fish.
I spend about a month in south america this year and the whole concept of catch and release is non-existent in the countries I was in. I fished there quite regularly, and this was in the upper Amazon basin (very similar looking to the bow, but surrounded by cloud forest or jungle). There were barely any fish due to this catch and keep mentality, many tribes were suffering from this lack of food. Catch and release does work and is crucial for our worlds future fish stocks. There is so much proof that it works and I don't understand how specific people don't grasp this concept (I'm not attacking anyone, just a general statment towards C&K people). If you're practicing catch and release and killing 50% of the fish, pinch your barbs, use the right rod, don't use bait, then get back to us. Catch and keep doesn't always work either, I've had perch come back to life in my kitchen sink..