View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Studded tires are not approved for high speed pursuit. They do not carry high enough speed ratings. I will note I have many police officers as clients who wish they were allowed to run studded tires, but that is neither here nor there if they are not allowed by their own regulations.

I see way more people running studs here in Montana then I’ve ever seen growing up and going to high school in Alberta.

I am not saying studded tires feel and handle identically to non studded tires. I am saying that for normal driving situtations they do not have an appreciable dry weather tration loss due to the tire studs, plain and simple. So much BS floats around from the days when studs were villified by governments (mostly south of the border) because of the extra costs associated to the wear and tear on highways etc, and they fell out of favour. Stud and tire technology has changed a lot and it not the issue as much as it once was, and thanks to northern countries all over the world recognizing the benefits vs the drawbacks, they have been making a resurgence and it helps.

By no means is it a magic bullet, but it is an added layer of ice control. It isn't for everyone, but it definitely is for others. I personally.do not NEED studs in my winter tires, but I sure do enjoy having them driving in on township roads in the dead of winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Because I'm not the quartermaster? I was just thinking of LE tires recently, especially those on rural RCMP vehicles and how much more important premium traction is when other emergency services are far away. They should be getting the best winter tires available, cost be damned. I'd sooner see them on Nokian's than some budget winter tires form China. When they have to be out in the worst weather to help those who probably should have stayed home (the perpetually unprepared in both equipment and driving skill) they should have excellent tires.

As for what LE chooses I know you're in Montana, but what do Alaska Statey's run on their buggies? One might rationalize that they might opt for something a bit better.
I just know out of all the local agencies including mhp here in Montana’s snow belt, mine is the only one that runs studs and it’s on a 3/4 ton truck. I also am the only one that is fully decked out with recovery equipment chains all around and a 12k winch. When I showed up with studs everyone looked at me odd. I just always figured except on ice you lose traction with studs ... dry pavement etc... personally I’m not a fan but hey I won’t turn down new tires for a work truck when it’s not coming from my budget.