View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyguy View Post
Well, I wouldn't say catching lots of walleye is the problem necessarily, I still catch a fair share of pike. My question was more towards the quality of the fish than the quantity

If I was noticing the quality of fish declining with the number caught, then that would be a problem, which Rav had alluded to. I just haven't noticed it to the degree that he and others have, so I was more curious about the timeline of decline for Rav specifically

You're right though, there is a direct link between the introduced walleye and numbers of other fish in the lake. Been awhile since I've seen the minnow schools clouding the water around the docks...
I used to be in favor of slot sizes, but revised my thinking.

The problem is the accidental kill ratio that occurs with many species, especially walleye. If the fish is too deep and brought up, its air bladder will expand. That's a great way to kill most of them, even if released.

I've gone to the concept that it's better to keep the first 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever the limit is that you catch, size be damned. You are going to save a lot more of the 'breeders' that way. You won't be hauling as many fish in, but you won't be killing as many either, and you get to keep them and eat them.

I'd love to hear from a biologist on this.