Thread: Comox Salmon
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 AM

The Campbell River and surrounding area is having another fabulous fishing year this year. I’m thinking it has to do with the baitfish returning in record numbers and sticking around all summer. Back in the 70’s through 80’s when Campbell River really pushed being “the salmon capital of the world” there was no end to the baitfish (herring) around the area. Consequently, the salmon stuck around and you could have great fishing for them 12 months a year; from feeder’s right through to spawner’s.

That all changed in the early 90’s when those baitfish essentially disappeared. You could blame it on any number of things from overfishing to fish farms but either way they were basically gone. Well, the last 5 years they have been back and the two times I fished CR this year it was amazing to see balls of bait that were like what I remember seeing as a kid. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that fishing the last several years in and around the CR area is getting back to to what I’d call a truly great fishery.

My first trip out in May we had several tides doing the Lighthouse drift where we were into over a dozen Springs. In July it was the same thing with the added bonus of having a couple 30+ Coho day’s. This past summer it was the best fishing I’ve seen in over 20 years around CR and at a time when the west coast (Gold River) has had another poor return after more than 5 years of having poor returns.

Here’s hoping they have another good return to the The Pool this summer!