Thread: Comox Salmon
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 08:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default King coho

Was going to chim in but found this article, we use to chuck buzz bombs 4" blue and white or pink and white, caught lots out there.

Fishing off King Coho
by Comox Valley Guide | Aug 22, 2007 | Uncategorized | 0 comments
Its that time of year again where the fishing off of King Coho (at the end of Singing Sands Rd) is hot! Each night dozens of anglers are taking to the beach with trollers and moochers out in their boats just off shore.
Last night I counted more than 40 fisherman on the shore, and more than 2 dozen boats. Unlucky Coho, Pink, and Chinook were being pulled to the beach one after another. There was no end to the excitement.
I started off out in the kayak. Now I’ll admit, fishing from a kayak is a bit awkward, but enjoyable never the less. The first fish I reeled in was a rock cod, about 18 inches or so in length. A decent sized fish, but not what I was going for, so I let him go – actually, that was only part of the reason for release. First I was unsure of the legal size, but more importantly I was not about to put a fish with spikes on it, between my legs in a Kayak. No thank you.
An hour or so, and two dog fish later (I hate those things) , I headed in to fish from shore instead. I saw a number of salmon being brought in, but none were on my line. How frustrating. After a bit more effort I moved up the beach to visit with my wife and in laws. We sat around the fire and watched others continue to fish, with one man catching a young seagull. Fortunately the bird was only tangled in the line and not hooked, so they untangled the little guy and set him free.
Around dusk a fisherman decked out in waders had a nice fight and brought in a nice looking Coho, when I was forced to give it another try. After fishing for a while longer and getting my fair share of seaweed and bullheads, the woman next to me got a strong hit. As I turned to look, my line too went a zinging. The short fight brought in a small (just barely undersized) Chinook.
Thoughts of keeping him raced through my mind, but I knew better and let him swim free after a struggle with the hook. I may not have any fish in my freezer from last night, but at least I caught a nice looking fish, saw a bunch of other folks bring some in, and had a great night on the beach.
———-
If you plan on getting out to do a little fishing, they’re biting on pink and white lures just off of King Coho, with BuzzBombs doing very well.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...