View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I have chased elk behind Lynx creek, seen the herd of horses there. Camp/quad with friends in the hills behind Shunda creek, seen the herd of horses there too, their trails and piles of poop. Allthough it was cool to see the horses im not a fan of the herds being there for the only reason there has to be competion for food between the elk, deer and horses. Eradication by the government will never happen but controling the herds size seems like a pill most would swallow. Knock down the numbers how ever it can be done and let a few stay. Seems to me this is what Sheepguide is saying. Correct me if i am wrong but if the horses get the designation of heritage. They could never be touched after that wether it be caught and tamed so to speak and or culled. That wouldnt be good imo. I wish i could spend a lot more time in the foothills but i dont so here's a question for those that do, as far as predators go, wolf and bears. Do the horses have an advantage being in a group vs a momma and a calf/fawn? Seems like they are keeping their numbers up while the deer, moose and elk struggle.
That is a major point. Horses fair way better with predators than do the wild ungulates. Some cougar have been found to target horses but as a whole horse kills are far less likely that deer elk and moose. Id be far happier spending the money on predator control than wiping out horse numbers as that just forces the predators that do target horses to target wildlife.
And yes there is competition but no one can show that this is hurting our wildlife in any way.