View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanno View Post
What native predators inhabit their native range?

I would hazard to guess pike, zander (Europe's version of walleye) very similar to what we have here in lower Bow/Oldman/South Sask.

Have they collapsed entire ecosystems in Europe where they have been around/introduced for 100's of years if not longer.

I've caught and eaten them in Europe on the Danube and they were very good actually.

I'm not saying that the carp being somewhere where they shouldn't be is a good thing but maybe some over reaction is taking place. As others have said I think they are here to stay so I hope everyone likes eating carp!! Since our native fish will be wiped out shortly as predicted by F&W the same people that have mismanaged our lakes and Reservoirs in Southern Alberta the last decade to the point where they are almost devoid of fish.

With regs allowing people to harvest big mature female pike, netting lakes like Newell gee I wonder why everything has ****-canned and now we cant even keep a single fish in Southern Alberta.

I'd blame it on the carp as well if I was them!!!
Yup. I'll never forget the first ice derby I went to on Newell (1999 or 2000). Dozens of pike in the 10-15lb range frozen on the ice and handfuls of 20lbers. Senseless. "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."