Thread: AO Book Club
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 07:24 PM

Loved Edgar Rice Burrough's Tarzan books when I was a kid too.
~~~~~
An interesting read of a whole other realm... I read these a few years ago and I did enjoy reading them. The writer did actually apprentice with the Yaqua shaman/sorcerer from 1961 to 1965. The first book was originally written and presented as a master thesis in Carlos's anthropology degree.

Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan.
3 books : The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, A Separate Reality and Journey to Ixtlan.

In the teaching's, Don Juan Matu uses hallucinogenic drugs and mysticism to help Carlos understand a 'non-ordinary reality'. . The books are written about Castaneda’s visions while he was tripping. While in an altered state of mind induced by jimsonweed, smoking magic mushrooms, and consuming peyote Carlos learns from Don Juan.

Don Juan told Carlos...
"Only he who challenges and defeats the four “natural enemies”—fear, clarity, power, and old age—can become such a man. He recommends “a path with heart.” All paths lead nowhere, he says, but those with heart make for a joyful journey."

Carlos wrote...
"My books are a true account of a teaching method that Don Juan Matu, a
Mexican Indian sorcerer, used in order to help me understand the
sorcerers' world. In this sense, my books are the account of an on-going
process which becomes more clear to me as time goes by. "

Scholars are undecided if the books are non fiction or fiction. You decide.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-21-2018 at 07:30 PM.