View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Nobody is asking to go back to the old days. Old days was 5 walleye any size, and I think it might have been 10 before that. I think 1 slot size fish per outing would be manageable, with harsh penalties like forfeiture of boat, angling gear, and license for anyone caught over their limit.

Pigeon, Wabamun, and St Anne all need to be thinned out to help create a balanced fishery imo, and a 1 fish limit would do them good, even if only for a season or two. It took decades of 5 any size to collapse the lakes, I’m 100% positive opening up a one fish slot size would only help the lakes.

It certainly would help alleviate the pressure they’ve created on the lakes that allow retention.
I think you and I see eye to eye here; walleye definitely need thinning out. Bios think the lakes are on their way to being "rebalanced". Well, I guess we'll see.

The difference between back then and now is the province's population has tripled. Though licenses have been stable or declined. Also, much more roads, as you say. My point being, I do see the timeline slightly differently; I wouldn't open up a lake longer than 1 season, if that. I'd be more in favour of an 8 week window. And yes, the lakes would need stepped up enforcement presence.