View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlicmarshmellow View Post
Newf, there is a oil filter wrench that fits over the end of your oil filter and you use a socket wrench to help remove it. I believe its the same wrench that fits over a 20 hp merc filter. Makes removing the filter a lot easiesr. I got the same motor as you have. How important is it to change the impellor ever year? Pm me and I can send you a pic if you want. BP may have the filter wrench in stock too. Its actually not a wrench but a piece you slide over the end of your filter
GMM - I test the outboard each season before I even look at my 12.5' inflatable. A Seabright Marine similar to the zebec and other models sold in these parts. And so far have replaced the impeller at least 3 times now that I can recall. Didn't have the boat out at all last year - spent too much time at the plant during turnaround.

But two summers ago everything was testing good including the impeller, and I thought I was done. Was just about to shut the outboard off when the water stream just tapered right off then stopped. Yep. Swap the impeller and all good again. Would really ruin a trip to get out on the lake or river only to have that happen there.

For the $20 or so on Amazon.ca for the impeller, and the bit of time it will take, I'll follow the manual which also says every 12 months.

I'll look into that wrench. Might be worth having. Thanks for the suggstion.