View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrooy View Post
Thanks HunterDave
Might have to use that too. Have you tried any other types of tans?
How soft did your deer hide come out as and how much did you have to work it afterwards?
What kind of wire wheel? Just an attachment for the grinder I suppose would work fine?

And then curious as to the warm water. Is it better to use cold water instead and dry in a cooler environment to decrease bacteria growth?
I didn't know the first thing about tanning and I just went by the very easy to follow instructions on the side of the bottle. If you follow it step by step, it works. I've never had a reason to try anything else. Just an ordinary 4" wire wheel to soften the hide works. Mine is not supple because initially I had it as a wall hanger and a little stiff was ideal. The longer you go over it with the wire wheel, it's supposed to get more supple.

Not sure what you mean about warm water? Last night I put in 1 lb of salt and I gallon of boiling water to desolve the salt and before putting the beaver pelt in I let the water cool, as in cold water. It's pretty cool here at night in the shack so the water was very cold this morning. The weather here is ideal for tanning in a garage or shed, it stays cool all day.
Get yourself abdeerbhide or two from people that would normally throw them in the bush just to get the experience and a couple under your belt. I saw the bottles today at Halfords, $17 each.

The only warm water that I used for my beaver pelt was washing it twice in dish soap to get the grease off and then a cold water rinse twice. It's hanging to dry a bit right now and tomorrow the formula goes on.