View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
There is an on going thread at FFC about large 30"+ Bow trout, NO ONE has posted proof (pic with tape) of a 30+" trout form the Bow. The general consensus from guides and river rats alike is that the ellusive 30's never get landed when cameras & tape are around..... or they don't exsist. When discussing this bullies aren't part of the discussion because 30+" bullies are fairly common and we're talking trout, not chars.

I have had several tanks to my boat over the last few years but nothing has ever broke the 28 1/2" mark, lots of 24-26" fish this year, but never anything where I would post a pic saying it was 30".

The first guy to have quality pics with a 30" Bow trout with the tape in the pic will become and instant local fish star..... for what ever that's worth
Agreed!!! I use to work at one of the flyshops, I have talked to most of the guides in town (not to mention hundreds of customers) and none of them have caught or seen a 30" brown. Most of which have fished the river for 20+ years. That's not to say that a couple of 30" browns are not in the river but catching them would be EXTREMELY rare! Until I see a pic w/ a tape measure 29" is the benchmark. Looking a pic is too hard to tell, it's like looking at picture of whitetail deer saying it's over 213" (new world record, which happens almost every year but it never is) w/ out it being officially measured.
Just for example here is a brown trout that I caught that is only 23", by holding him out towards the camera it appears much bigger (still doesn't look 27' but I could likely pass him off for 25", same as a 27" could look 30"). The same technique is being used in the pic by FH7 and fishstix (a shame no pic w/ a tape, that fish could really be 30"). I believe the fish in the pic by TFG is every bit 29". My point is w/ out a tape on the fish it's very hard to tell it's true length.
What floors me is people claiming to have seen or caught browns in the bow up to 34" or 15lbs when no proof exist of a 30" brown. Here is link of a 32 1/2" (approx 15.9lbs) brown pulled from the Madison River that would eat the browns on this thread for lunch... If bigger browns then this are in the bow then WOW is all I can say!!! Note; the link might kick you out to the home page, if so click "categories" (at the top) and select "archive". Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "older entries", do this twice and you will see it under the 2008 entities "The days of days - fish of a lifetime".

http://utahcutthroat.com/2008/10/30/...of-a-lifetime/

Happy fishing everyone!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0663 - Copy.jpg (62.3 KB, 101 views)