Thread: Wapiabi elk
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
Thank you for all the facts and figures. It seems like the bad management you are referring to was an increase in wolf numbers and extensive research confirmed it. I have been unable to find any research which confirms this and would appreciate it if you could tell me the papers that do.

Also, I don't believe there is a single thing the government could have done to reduce wolf numbers or even stabilize them. Alberta is surrounded by wolves which would replace those killed immediately and a massive province wide toxicant program would be the only way of lowering numbers. Such a program would not be acceptable to the public or economically viable. Sorry. I am most interested in the research which concludes wolves are responsible for the decline in elk.

Your welcome. I also appreciate facts along with sound reasoning, unlike what you have offered. Read Hebblewhite's research in the demise of the Yaha migratory elk and the 90% reduction of moose and non-migratory elk populations.

The government along with citizen efforts significantly reduced wolf populations in four campaigns last century. Notice the cycle? It was time to have another wolf reduction ten years ago. Your claimed societal opposition to wolf control techniques is a matter of marketing. That can be dealt with. It's not too late to save the elk and moose from being extirpated from vast areas of Alberta, we can still effectively kill 90% of the wolves in short order once the orders are given.

Regardless, it won't be long now before disease issues will force the government's hand to get the wolf population back in check. Like it or not, high wolf populations are a fleeting dream for people that share your anti-hunting philosophy.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."