View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Default Im back so here we go.

HWF , sorry if I don’t have time on my hands to read up a thread, blow up 7 arrows cause I have nothing better to do, but really hope it makes me a ‘pro’ in the eyes of the other keyboard jockies here. Let me try to non, crap an answer for you so I’ll smart write this one as best I can.

The point of my original post was really to try to create or explore what kind of community norm we have in an ethical sense regarding my question. I believe I’ve achieved that.. All societies establish some kind of structure of ethics, which essentially will be an area where we will all generally agree upon (the majority). I think we can all agree on some ethical guidelines for the majority here, perhaps I should have clarified that.Its pretty important that we at least try to do that here from time to time as we have many many newbies coming here trying to get a lay of the land. It has already been stated by most experienced hunters here that they do not condone shooting with the current equipment passed the 70 to 100 yard area. This is sound advice and my hope is that the rookie ‘im gonna rent a bow’ hunting newbies (which we have all seen come on here and ask the most ignorant of questions), will read up on this and take advice of his/her peers here and act accordingly. We have a responsibility as a hunting community to help promote the concept of “Fair Chase”.
Those people (yourself included) that simply take the opportunity to tell us how great you superior hunting-shooting skills are (and hey, maybe they are, maybe you’re the most experienced hunter and hunting guide who’s currently burning up the season testing out arrow theories on the internet that I know…) really aren’t impressing us or doing our community a favor.
What’s ethical here? Hmmm well… I love it when people trump out the ‘to each his own’ argument. I’ve seen that one when we talk about long distance rifles, quadding, trail cams, crossbows ect… it’s a cop out and a crap response. Every community must explore and define what’s acceptable behavior and not, then come to some agreement on the ‘right or wrong of it’ … ethics in short. If we all do our own thing, we’ll soon allow trail cam linked crossbows that fire and snap a picture! Sounds awesome eh? Nope not for me or any of us here. Or we’ll condone super long range archery shots FOR ALL and have porcupine deer.. yuck!
Rem300 and any of you others that have been ‘biting your tongue’ … hey great, you grew up all robin hood and I don’t doubt that you can make the shot and have.. good on you. DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS THE NORM??? OR THE EXCEPTION??
If we look at the whole archery community… we’ll all agree that you guys are the big time minority. I don’t care if you all role together. Your bragging about stands the chance of influencing what newbies see as the norm…. bad idea. Bad idea indeed. Very very bad idea!!

HWF…. Archery equipment is limited by the following: I will state the obvious
- arrows are affected by wind and stuff you probably won’t see that may be in the way… ever hit grass? Twigs? Ever have the wind affect you?? Your eye will not detect these things (go read an eye chart at 80 yards… that’s your next experiment.. it wont cost you 7 arrows).
- I doubt arrows will consistently have decent velocity that far down to target, but I may be wrong here… I’d love it if someone could enlighten me.
- You may have super hunter guide arms of steel to hold on a pie plate sized target till the conditions are all right and not flinch cause a micro inch change would result in porcu-deer….. but I doubt it. You iron arms guys are the minority.. ethics… norm for group… majority agree.. that’s how we establish them.
- You can’t get the projectile there quick enough to produce a RELIABLE kill shot. Animals move, the conditions for such a shot would be rare, and c’mon. You seriously can’t control those variables reasonably. You can’t.
- I could be totally wrong here…. But a huge part of archery is mastering the art of closing with your game enough to make a reliable kill shot.

Yes, there will always be exceptions, just as there would be exceptions to ideas such as ‘we should never kill babies’ or whatever ethical conundrum you chose to cough up. All of those exceptions are invariable IN THE MINORITY. Hence we would not want to establish norms there…… kind of kills the norm part. Eh?

BTW… I started out as a rant.. by definition.. not much rational thought involved in these! Cut me some slack.

Rem300 I like your post simply cause you spent a great deal of time telling how much to train.

What advice would you give to the average archer on these shots?

I’d say don’t bother.

done!

Ps… the daughter and I could not convince the bull to come and play… nice quiet night. Next time.

Last edited by bessiedog; 09-19-2011 at 10:35 PM.