View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 04:17 PM

For me it really depends if I am going for numbers or size.

For numbers I'll drill a grid over an area with holes every 15-20 yards in are area with a weeds, a drop off or preferably both. The bait I use for the deadline are 2-5" minnow or smelt on a size 1 or 2 octopus or J hook with a splitshot 1ft above. I like barbless single hooks for this presentation because the smaller bait can lead to fish swallowing it/taking it deep. Even if this happens you can easily unhook without causing serious damage or bleeding by going up through the gills with your pliers and twisting the hook out by doing a J movement. Works far better than trying to reach in from their mouth. I run this rig on 36-42" MH ice rod with a baitrunner reel or a ifishPro tip up because I like to fight the fish on a rod rather than handline a tip up. I'll start with my bait 1ft off bottom but will move it up or down if I don't get bites. I find laying it on bottom works well when the fish are in a super off mood and the fishing is slow. With my second line I'll hole hop with a jigging setup and spend 5-10min per hole to try and dial in where the action is. I always start with more active presentations like a flutter spoons, paddle tail swimbaits, or rattle baits. If I get a bunch of looks but no takes then I'll either downsize my lure, add a piece of minnow/smelt or go to a jig and minnow. For jigging cadence I'll start with more aggressive 1-3 foot rips with shorter pauses or pounding the lure on the spot in between. If the fishing is slower then more pounding on the spot with smaller lifts or drops to the bottom usually work. Once you have a fish interested keep the lure moving away from them either above or below. If that doesn't get a strike next time try more subtle movements or fluttering the lure on the spot. I use 36-42" M or MH ice rods for jigging. Both my jigging and deadstick setups have 12 or 15lb line on the reels. I never run steel leaders so you do have to check your line for knicks/wear and retie fairly often and will get bitten off every once in a while (especially with a jig and minnow or the deadstick) but in my mind this is the trade off with having more stealth in your presentation when fish are finicky and the water is clear.

If I am targeting large pike then I will drill less holes and spread them out more. Here I'll look more for large flats in 5-15ft of water. If there are weed beds or a drop off near by then great but its less important than if I was going for numbers. I'll run both lines on iFishPro tip ups with 40+" heavy action rods with 4000 size reels with 30lb line. I tie my own quick strike rigs with two #2 treble hooks and 50lb braid connecting them at the eyelets. To connect it to the mainline I use a saltwater loop knot so the main treble can pivot which helps present the bait more naturally and will increase your hookup percentage. The key with this rig is to hook the bait so it hangs horizontal or slightly nose down and that the hooks are just in enough that when you set the hook they rip out of the bait and transfer to the fish easily. You can use pre-packaged rigs but I've found the hook quality is poor for a lot of them, and both the V style and ones with the sliding trebles on steel leaders don't present the bait as naturally. Barbless hooks and getting to your line quickly after the take is important to ensure minimal harm is done to the fish. With two trebles in the bait you don't have to wait to set the hook. As soon as you feel the fish moving with the bait or weight on the line I will set the hook and I very rarely have issues with fish getting hooked deep. Also make sure you always have pliers, jaw spreaders and wire cutters on hand at the hole to help get the fish released quickly. Bring a book or listen to a podcast cause it can be a grind waiting for bites.