View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
I don't belive this is true, I could be way off base, but it was my understanding Bucks or bulls dropping antlers has to do with a decrease in testosterone to a critical level. Which means that the does in thier area may have all been bread out early in the year. Rather than late.

Saw super healthy looking big thick body bucks all shed south of Calgary. 7 or 8 in a group. Only one that had antlers left was a young spiker
Yes, shedding antlers is related to testosterone levels but the healthier the buck is the higher his testosterone levels are. That's why you can't pick a week in the year when bucks always shed their antlers.....it varies with the conditions. Some years they start dropping antlers in December, other years they will still have them on in March. One year I found a fresh shed at the end of November. Watch the same herd of deer for a few years and you'll see how it changes.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/deer-shed-antlers-pics/

"Contributing Factors

Some deer shed their antlers earlier or later than normal depending on different factors. Wounded or injured deer usually cast their antlers earlier than normal because injuries activate the osteoclasts cells early. The same situation goes for deer with declining physical conditions.

Deer that are in good condition, live in a mild climate, and have a high quality habitat will keep their antlers well into the spring months. Deer with poorer conditions, live through harsh winters, and have limited nutrition based on their habitat will shed their antlers earlier."