View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I don't have the skill to make 80 yard shots while hunting. But people do do it and are pretty good at it. Tim Wells comes to mind. I also think that he has gotten to that point with lot's of real hunting practice. He has a lot more bigger game to to practice on or should I say cull, the same way some practice on gophers. Feral Pigs as an example. I am guessing that after enough time a hunter can predict what the animal is going to do to a certain degree to compensate or tell if the animal is going to take a few steps. I have also seen him make a few bad shots where the animal was never recovered. On the same token I have seen hunters make bad shots at 20 yards. Bottom line is to know your limits and take the shot when you are 99% sure that you can make it. I'd say 100% but there are always variables that are out of your control and if someone thinks that 1% will never happen to them just hasn't hunted long enough.

If a guy wants to take a 80 yard shot at a deer and is 99% sure he can make a good shot I don't have a problem with it.
Watched him make a shot in some -stan country on a some Kinna Sheep...had to be 100yds if straight...he was up on a cliff...so it must have been a couple hundred yards ...and the sheep was running...away...SMACK...nailed it...

I would have missed that with my .300 Tikka...lol

Neil