View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 02:18 PM

Default Different focus

This may change since they are going together next year but I have found Cabela's always more clothing, hunting, camping focused and Bass Pro more fishing. I have seen sales numbers by dept. as well and as companies that is very true. Cabela's overall is not all that big on the fishing sode of things even though they have a fishing dept.

Saying all that I am over 20 years retail manager in several business types including this one and generally speaking the small shops will give you better knowledge and service but not everyone. It is hard as said to hire everyone perfect in a big or even smaller location.

I always laugh at how everyone trashes the big boys and ends up at the little guy in the end yet the next time they go shopping they go back to the big boys and buy from them again. I have seen this in person many times. If you expect to keep getting premier service then support the small shops out there as they need that to survive. The fishing guru who's name was mentioned earlier is probably one of our most knowledgeable guys we have locally and yet you have no idea how many people call/text him for advice after purchasing at another store. Happens all the time.

I understand we are all looking for a "deal" but sometimes in the end it is not. Don't forget to ask about warranty policies, who takes care of them, and return policies. Many complain in retail and if they only asked or read the signs you would know the return/warranty policy. Remember if you bring something back and the mfg deems it not defective the store has to deep discount it to get rid of it or eat the item. Small shops cannot afford much of this so are generally a little tighter on returns etc.

The big boys quite often will have crazy deals as they can afford to have lost leaders and give product away hoping you buy others. Keep your eyes open and you will often find the big deal at the big boys.

Hopefully that all makes sense but I have had to deal with customers in different retails and most of the time the challenging customer is only that way because no one seems to know what the policies are and someone says the wrong thing and then everything goes sideways...........

End of rant!