Thread: Marlin 444
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 12:24 PM

Default Nice pics, Savage!

I DM"d you with some info, but I hadn't seen the pics when I did that (I'm the one with a JM 1977 model 444S plus the Winnie Big Bore 94 in 444 Marlin).

I'm guess that you've got a somewhat older rifle than my 1977, which would use the Microgroove 1:20 twist rifling (i.e. lots of very small rifling rather than just a few deep ballard-cut rifling). Easy to confirm, the Microgroove doesn't look like any other rifling out there.

I've tried the Leverevolution ammo for a box in my JM, but it seems like the Microgroove rifling didn't much agree with those longer pointy bullets, I couldn't get a good group for love nor money, where it's pretty much less than 3/4" to 1.0 inch @ 100 with the flat points. The other posts on Marlin Owners forum seemed to also find that same result, so I've stuck with the Hornady 265 grain flat points (thank goodness I stocked up well before this shortage started). On the Winnie with the Ballard-cut rifling, it'll shoot the Leverevolution stuff OK, but not much different than the flat-point Hornady bullets so I stick with that, which means I don't have to have brass in two different lengths.

LateLifeCrisis