View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 11:12 AM

Its not as bad as everyone thinks, for sure be absolutely prepared by doing your part to be bear safe when camping. When hunting be very aware of your near surroundings, more importantly as far as you can see so you can prevent a bad encounter. I have have seen a large amount of grizzlies working and hunting south of GP, in northern BC and one work trip in the Yukon. I have a healthy respect for grizzlies. I bow and rifle hunt. I bring a 375 h&h (cooler than a shotgun!) or bear spray depending on how I feel about bow hunting or fly fishing in a bear area. The only grizzlies that could have been trouble in my past, a small aggressive sow at 50 yards, she never got closer. Also a mother with cubs on our rigs lease site that kept hanging around. The rest of the time they smell you or hear you, they move on or let you move on. I don't even have a clue as to how many grizzlies have seen me hunting and I never knew about it, thats a statement alot of hunters can say in the known bear areas. A large number of the grizzlies you may see are only going to be slightly bigger than the black bears you've probably shot. Yes there are big bears in Alberta, I have mostly found only their tracks and **** piles, seems like the big ones are nocturnal and like to avoid being seen. I have seen elk areas where the gut piles get cleaned up each night while never seeing a single grizzly in a season of hunting that spot. It's not like those Alaska stories or the movies with giant 10 footers waiting to get you, even tho it feels that way sometimes lol. Enjoy the mountains when you're in them, not everybody gets to hunt like that, take pics for the memories. Keep your wits about you, if you feel threatened move on to the next spot.