View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishing only 902 View Post
do you ever write anything that makes sense? i have seen comments from you on a few threads now and its your inbred backwoods logic that is the real threat to the resource.

funny thing is its people like you who are the first to cry once the fish are gone.

ITS ABOUT PROTECTING A RESOURCE THAT WE ALL SHARE

and even if it was to cater to the guides and outfitters so the **** what. do you have any idea the local revenue generated by these awful guides and outfitters?

People like me aye , listen pal , l,ve been fishing long before you were in diapers , my dad and l were 2 of the first and very few who fly fished the bow back in the early fiftys , lic was $2 l believe back then , we slept over in Dads station wagon many times along the bow , at that time we could camp anyplace where we could drive to the river road or no road.
The flys we used back then were royal coachman , black knat , and a mosquito pattern, never did we get skunked , and we always ate them , and they were delicious , and when a fish was playing around with a fly and not taking it , my Dad had the answer to that , he,d go to the bank and catch a grasshopper and hook in onto the fly , usually the first cast back into the pool wham ! !! , he was on , and a good chance he,d stay on because the hook had a barb , life on the bow was good back then.
l can remember stopping off at a fellows place in east calgary to buy some live minnows , we put them in a large glass pickle jar , no plastic them days either , and head down the bow , even with a live minnow it was a challenge to catch one , but in the right pool they worked well .
There was never any catch and release nuts back then , everyone was out to catch a fish supper , and if you had a big one on and it got off , that was a bad day , and there were some big ones in the lower bow back then , my largest was 12 lbs , caught where the highwood meets the bow , we drove right down to the rivers edge from the north side at that time , now some nester owns all the land and has fenced it up , the road is barely visable now do to erosion , sad , that was a nice spot.
As more and more people moved into Calgary we began to see them on the banks of the bow , fancy gear and all , years later outfitters moved in , lobbied the govt for changes , catch and release , then came the barbless thing , it wasnt about conservation it was about preserving the fishery for the wealthy , like outfiitters and their American clients .
Was lots of fish back then , still is , but not from catch and release , lots of them die after the fact , bow is a self renewable resource , next time out just look at the thousands of minnows in the pools .
Not sure if the bow is stocked now , havent fished it for years , to many idiots on it now , can only keep 1 small one , barblees hooks , and with flyfishing , that means fish off on first jump even with a tight line , so whats the point , you fish kissers can have it now ,
We have fish hatcherys today to replenish our waters , so l dont see why your all so worried about our future fisheries , there will always be fish even if we keep them for supper , at least 4 anyway , anything less then that is a waste of gas to get out to catch them.
lf l want to get off with a tug on my line , l,ll tie my dog to it , and release him after l play him in , same thing , any fish l catch goes into the pan because l love fish , lots of people hate fish , thats why they let them go.
l,m old school , and proud to be one , life was easy back then , less rules , less bull crap , just plain ole pole fishin with a worm or whatever , now every place l go , if l throw a line in the water l,m poachin somewhere in the regs , getting as bad as hunting , sold half my guns now because of the crap that goes along with hunting today , its not fun anymore.