View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemoredog View Post
Average is around 4 lbs. I caught one just over 5lbs. This was about 3 weeks ago over 2 days/5 hours of fishing.

I would say the real average is half that. I caught a couple hundred while there just before Canada day. Best was 3.5 but I stayed at the PP.
I did get a couple big pike, one was 28" and 4.5 lbs. haven't seen any that size there for awhile.
I think pigeons walleye numbers are due to the lake itself. Now that commercial fishing is done I don't see angling as a major influence on the diversity of the lake. Yet the impact of other influences such as commercial and native fishing may impact the populations forever.
My uncle told me a story about how natives used to drive down farm roads with their trunks full of whites for sale. One time in the spring and full of roe. That's sad.
I think walleye are simply the most resilient to the past effects and best and quickest to flourish and recover. I'm not a biologist with all the data to educated myself with but I don't believe the walleye numbers are majorly effecting whites, pike and others yet perhaps perch more so.
I think the angling is actually helping walleye. 99% of them get released and eat minnows all day. I caught the same fish almost a dozen times one day while there this year. Their very easy to catch which probably skews ones perception that the lake is just boiling with walleye alone. I'm not saying there's not lots, or their not the dominate species, but not the the extent you get the impression from by just fishing.
I'm happy to see how healthy the walleye are doing and I don't think we should be playing god too much. I think pigeon could go sideways easy and we could be reminiscing about the days pigeon had fish. There's so many dead or near dead lakes in AB that used to be great.
The best thing we can do is let Mother Nature do her work, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk