View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Haha,no offence intended bro,like I said,wasn't trying to be a Rick. ✌️
....jest sayn....people often get too hung up on recommended minimum retained energy etc when as I'm sure you're aware,it's all about bullet placement.
If kinetic energy was the carved in stone/end all to be all determining factor in killing effectively,then none of us would be bowhunting. 😜
we agree on all that too, i don't like the ke rule of thumb but a lot do so i include it in comparisons...that's the only reason i included it

i personally like the minimum impact velocity rules of thumb for types of bullets and being a guy who prefers the more frangible camp vs the tough delayed expansion camp then i tend to run around 1600 fps as a general safe rule for most of the amax like bullets, otherwise the little grendel punches way above its weight for powder burned as it compares very close to the old .243 and what we generally ask of it

when it comes to placement factory ammo to factory ammo 6.5 G vs .243...the grendel has higher s.d. and in fact gets above the often recommended minimum .250 for 3rd class game (elk etc.) and none of the .243 factory options do, so depending how you look at things, bullet first, impact velocity 2nd etc. the 6.5 Grendel is more appealing than the .243 in all except the pbrz (0-300 the .243 is pretty much hold dead on, the 6.5 Grendel will be more like 0-250)...that is the only advantage i see in the .243 and you burn another 20 gr of powder to do it, and for now and a while yet easier to find factory ammo and rifles