View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
This flat shooter topic comes up often. A fellow wants to discard his 30-06 for a more "flat" shooting .270WIN, or so on and so on. I would love to see a definition of a flat shooter vs one that isn't. Of course I'm not speaking of a 30-30 vs a 220 Swift, so let's stay within parameters. Why would one not consider a slightly higher hold over, and maybe at longer range a turret adjustment. Are folks that look for a flatter shooting caliber expecting it to do their homework for them in terms of a couple of inches which in terms of kill zone would make little to no difference at all. Flat shooting seems to be an overused and misunderstood phrase. Define flat shooting.
Flat shooter... well i reload my friend 300 win mag with 165 or 168 barnes ttsx and there is no need for hold over.. the combination shoot like a lazer beam up to 450 yards no problem.. last time i went to the range ( Maximum 300 yards )

he wanted me to sight the gun 4 inch high at 100 yards.. result was 7 inch high at 300 yards.. so i tuned everything so he dont need any hold over..

He is funny because he keep saying the bullet should start droping at 300 yard even 4 inch high at 100 yard with a 300 win mag... well no... actually the bullet keep shooting higher..

300 win mag is a solid choice for a flat shooter if you reload.