View Single Post
Old 11-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

Default Was a time

Several years ago a good friend and his brothers kept a shanty on the ice and had done so for several years. They gave up when they scattered to follow the work. However, they fished for whites and rainbows off the north shore about a kilometer west of the sailing club @ the parking lot.
Also, I have seen thousands of whitefish a couple of miles up up the Ghost River arm while boating but I don't know if there is winter access on the road that heads north past the private marina, or even if that part of the reservoir is open to angling.
Pressure ridges in the ice make this lake a dangerous place to drive and I know a couple of guys that have mistakenly driven over these fault lines and done some pretty serious damage to the front ends of their 4X4's. Not to mention the RCMP, fire trucks, ambulance and media types that arrive with the tow-truck.
You might think about a day at Gap Lake, a little further west past Exshaw. There is some seriously big browns in there. Stay in the shallow water just off from the last picnic table and be patient. Have pulled out or seen 5-8 lb trout there. There is always open water on this pond due to the winds howling thru' the gap so go easy! Never had any luck at Grotto pond,but it is a stocked pond and there used to be arctic char. Some years ago.
Hope this helps, Albertafisher.