View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
what i saw last year was herds of the things in every field. i dont remember for sure, but i think the buck i shot was about number 130 on day 3? the pre hunt count showed around 20000 in alberta. i suspect the overall count will be down some, but from what i see working out in antelope country every day until a week or so ago, there were herds in every field. the goats in the suffield base seemed to be doing even better than those in farmers fields.....i didnt find a single dead one in the base....not saying none died, but seemed to be less than everywhere else.

i said it before and ill repeat it now. for those who have never seen it, a half dozen or more dead goats in one place looks terrible. the way they group into huge herds in one place makes it look awful when a few dont make it. the counts wil be done in june or july or whatever, and we'll know for sure then. my gfuess is that the numbers will show them to be a lot tougher than some people think.

or maybe.....i suppose its possible that they goats in my travels are tougher than those where you have been looking. after all, my alberta had 20000 last year, and yours only had 3000 right?
I have to agree with ISB statements, I originally thought their population would have been down at least 50% this winter... On my travels to work this morning, I seen at least 150 and they look to be in pretty good shape.

I did have to dispose of about 2 dozen dead ones on the farm this year, thought it was a bad sign, but seems they will rebound fairly well...