View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM

There is a big thread over on CGN that argues about load development for a few pages.

Jerry Teo (Canadian F-Classer) swears up and down that ES/SD numbers don't matter (I am paraphrasing for simplicity) and also references the positive compensation thing. BTW, the first thing that shows up when you google positive compensation is a forum where the merits of it are debated. Jerry says he does his load development based on results on target. As he does 1,000 F-class he will test at 1,000.

I do not have access to a 1,000 yard range. I do my load development at 100M with a chrony beside me. I find the load that groups the best and has good ES/SD numbers and go from there. Normally, there is a strong correlation between the 2 but not always. When I did my 6.5X47 development I had a load that had super low SD/ES (2 & 5 respectively) but would not group. I had to choose a load with slightly worse SD/ES but a much better grouping. I normally follow this up by validating at distance when I get the chance.

I should note that I don't develop loads to get 1/10th minute groups. Once I hit 1/2 minute I call it a day. I do not need more than that personally. My loads probably wouldn't win BR or F-Class matches.

I think there are many ways to get the job done.