View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
I am not looking for an argument but was wondering what you do differently and I guess positive compensation is it. I did a bit of research and all I could seem to find is that a properly tuned barrel should produce round groups at closer range which would compensate for vertical dispersion in bullets with different muzzle velocities? I believe a round group is one that is as wide as it is high?? I would imagine a 1/3 Diameter group would be preferred over one with a 1" diameter at 100 yards???

Looking at virtually all of the many good groups that I have developed they all seem to produce round groups at under 1/2". I did wonder why they seldom had the lowest ES and SD or even had seemingly high ES and still grouped great at 300 to 600 yards which is the farthest that I have shot as I shoot gophers and moose and have never had the equipment to go further. Could it be that my method of load development results in a tuned barrel much the same as positive compensation or do you use mechanical devices like the barrel tuners that were mounted on some factory rifles?

The Pressure ladder that I posted had three bullets landing in a round group measuring about 0.06 and the subsequent groups I shot were round with the exception of the flier in Target 4. The next step is to see how they perform at 500 yards/meters which will be to determine if my trajectory and windage estimates need adjustment and if vertical dispersion is a problem.
you have part of it but you are still thinking in terms of group shooting for long range shooting.whoever wrote positive compensation barrel tuning forms round groups at short distance which benefit long range shooting have no clue about what they are talking about.tuning rifles at distances or for distances requires tuning for the tightest vertical node at distance. most people shooting ladder tests have no idea what they are trying to accomplish in the first place because of all the misleading information circulating on the internet.
having seen,talked with,and shot against most all of the best long range shooters in the world the consensus is the same for tuning to shoot at distance.