View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Good thread.

IMO Big bush bucks do have a core area where they bed the majority of the time. (Rut not included) These areas are bigger than farm land deers core area. They are also harder to find, it seems big bucks will feed into the wind or a side wind with a good field of view down wind most of the time in big bush. They don’t have a set travel pattern and travel where the wind takes them. It is a good idea to make note of the wind direction when finding fresh tracks or spotting a big buck and then hunt accordingly. Keep in mind that the buck could be traveling the same direction in the same area 300+ yards away on a different day with the same wind. Hunt natural funnels when possible.

There have been many long conversations at the camp fire about the kings of the forest and how to hunt them. I’m still learning and will never learn everything, hope more chime in with some more knowledge.

Not a king of the forest, but a big bodied, unique mature deer that lived miles from any road I took years ago. (I couldn’t pass him up, the deers body was massive) Sorry, can’t find any field pics.