View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Similar experience. It was good to hear them speak and ask questions. I wish they would have one live chat session but oh well.

I'm not sure what you saying about Moose and Pinehurst. They clearly slowed a downward trend over last 2-3 netting results. Probably makes sense to move this way for now and see how they recover. Sucks for some I'm sure.

Lots on Touchwood. No luck there. Wabuman should be interesting to see over the next few years with limits.

I hope they keep this kind of stuff up. Good to get some insights.
To me when there is a regulation change attempted a one season sample size isn't really giving it a fair shake. In the actual "Harvest slot" presentation it was noted that this was first year data and shouldn't be noted as significant yet. Yes I did see the trends that were presented but again if you're going to make a change why not get a bigger sample size of data over a few years or so...

With that said an argument could be made that they weren't great candidates for slots in the first place according to their data, I can acknowledge that but in the end the change was made. Maybe it won't work out and I'm not against Tags as a management tool for high pressured lakes. I keep thinking of Pigeon and how well it's worked there.

Another random thought is I wish they would just abandon the 1 over regulations all together in this province. They are thinking of opening up the Wabascas again with a 1 over 50 for walleye and a 1 over 75 for pike. Now why not try a slot there? They think the fishery may be able to handle it but why why not protect some of the bigger fish?