View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
To me when there is a regulation change attempted a one season sample size isn't really giving it a fair shake. In the actual "Harvest slot" presentation it was noted that this was first year data and shouldn't be noted as significant yet. Yes I did see the trends that were presented but again if you're going to make a change why not get a bigger sample size of data over a few years or so...

With that said an argument could be made that they weren't great candidates for slots in the first place according to their data, I can acknowledge that but in the end the change was made. Maybe it won't work out and I'm not against Tags as a management tool for high pressured lakes. I keep thinking of Pigeon and how well it's worked there.

Another random thought is I wish they would just abandon the 1 over regulations all together in this province. They are thinking of opening up the Wabascas again with a 1 over 50 for walleye and a 1 over 75 for pike. Now why not try a slot there? They think the fishery may be able to handle it but why why not protect some of the bigger fish?

All sounds like good reasoning. Thanks for clarifying.

I did add that to the survey for some of the lakes to consider a slot instead of the "one over a size".

The regs will be an interesting read come April. Watching Wab closely.