View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Yes, I sighed, because mocking is a common tactic on this forum...or more likely, any online community. If we were having these discussions around a campfire, I’m sure we’d all get along better.

That aside, none of your points change the fact that CWD is a progressive, fatal disease in ungulates that will reduce their life expectancy. Mortality from CWD is cumulative with other mortality factors, and may also increase death from non-CWD causes. The net effect is fewer bucks surviving to get old and big. This is not good for outfitters, or any hunters who seek big mule deer. Unless the effect of CWD is reduced, or we shift our expectations, the best years for mule deer trophy hunting in Alberta are likely behind us.

I maintain that, for the reasons given, outfitters will not behave in the best interests of mule deer management if it means trading-off near term business viability. This is expected, and I don’t fault them for that. I would act the same in their position. The fault is the system which led to game allocations being a tradeable, privately owned commodity. Never should have happened.

Have a pleasant weekend, despite the stormy weather.
So how do you want to control cwd?
No one seems to have slowed it down yet so just curious what your plan would be?