View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badone20 View Post
Patience is #1 in my mind. Find a spot with good sign off the beaten path, set your self up so you have some good shooting lanes and good cover, and call. Then wait, wait, and wait some more.

Don't over call and don't give up and move too soon. Keep your eyes and your ears open as lots of times depending on where you are hunting, they may come in silently. Moose have great senses that protect them well, that nose and those ears serve them very very well.

Make sure you aren't fidgeting around or carrying stuff that makes unnatural sounds like food wrappers and plastic bottles that crinkle. I always unwrapped my bars and stored them in a single Ziploc ahead of time to avoid making all that noise in the bush when you want to open one. Its unbelievable how much noise those plastic foil wrappers and bottles can make in the dead silence of the bush.

Move slowly and deliberately when you must and make sure you have looked hard around you before you do. Moose have an unbelievable way of dialing right in on your position when you are calling and come right to it. It has blown me away more then once to look around and see a moose standing and looking directly at my position, when they weren't there a few seconds ago, and I heard absolutely nothing. I like to refer to them as ghosts, because they can move so silently and effortlessly through the bush that it is amazing.

What WMU are you hunting?

Patience is something that I’ve been building toward for the past number of years. From the sounds of it, I will probably treat them a lot like I treat elk.
I’m hunting in 242 in the Ministick lake bird sanctuary. I’ve done a bit of scouting in there but it’s a really big area that will take a few more trips to get a handle on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk