View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Now hunting is one thing but the same cannot be said for military type arms. any info coming from operators out of Iraq or Afgan say pretty much the opposite they really despise the 5.56 round for normal combat and would prefer nato to change to the 6.8ppc. And if you read the actual book of blackhawk down there are several references to the 5.56 round not putting intended targets down, hence the revival of sorts of the m1a in 7.62 currently in the usmc. I know it's a whole other topic but energy has to play a part in the kill or we could use fmj to hunt deer with. Again it's just an opinion but an opinion of guys who depend on the round they use to save there own life and of guys serving with them it should count for something.
No one here has said that energy isn't a big influence in the knockdown factor but energy itself can rarely kill. Like I said many posts ago, there's a one/two punch with the two wound channels. I'd never underestimate the importance of energy, it just seems there are a lot of misconceptions as to how it actually effects the body and what role it plays in bullet performance. One other thing to consider with larger diameter bullets is a larger diameter wound channel as well, which again, has nothing to do with energy but everything to do with tissue damage and bleeding.

As to the fmj comment, again, an expanding bullet creates a much greater permanent and temporary wound channel and the jagged edges of the expanded bullets and fragments damage tissue more effectively than the smoother fmj. The initial expansion of a bullet creates a huge temporary wound channel and undoubtedly much of the knockdown punch.