View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Went for a nice 3 mile walk in snowshoes on Sunday ! Brisk !!!! -38 to start the day was a little rough , but gotta check ! Nothing but a lone weasel ! But I was still happy ! That little bugger has stolen every peice of bait I coud put in the rat trap/ box set up . Broke out the golden nugget ( grouse heart ) kept from the fall ! He never had a chance , teeth buried in the meat and the trap on the back of his neck !
I also had not a single fresh coyote track anywhere on my home quarter or our other quarter a couple miles away . I set a bunch of trail sets and 5 or 6 along my shoe tracks when I weaved right next toa nice sized tree . Here's hoping there's one or two when I get home from work on Thursday!

Outta bait , can't seem to find any road kill , so just trying anything right now . I think that the deep snow around my place has slowed down the coyotes. I will definetely have a better plan next year ! Just hoping one of my neighbours has a cow tip over ....... Not really , but it would help !

I was debating trying moose or deer scent ? Any thoughts ?
Skunk essence.
I have caught a bunch in the past smearing a bunch of skunk essence in a willow patch full of snares. It you put up enough snares you will get them. They can't resist the smell of skunk it seems and will circle around in the willows looking for the smell. Maybe add a bit of Coyote lure as well