View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Knife must be incredibly sharp, AND more importantly incredibly thin at edge.
Your bevel looks way to steep on than knife IMO. The steel sharpening work is the key, folded edge up always. JAckie has a really good video up on youtube now showing his sharpening techniques. Was a game changer for me, you will not have any false cuts once your knife is done properly.

2 handed flesher sharp side always used on beaver, dull side in belly area only. If not it will take you an hour to flesh a beaver, an hour and a half for one with little to no fat.

Spruce
Thanks Spruce! Your advice mirrors exactly what someone else told me. The first knife is the one I use for fleshing and the second is a different knife. I had thinned the first knife at a friends place on his belt sander for knives, he's got lots of gear for sharpening knives. (low speed, took my time to avoid heat). When done before I knew it he had put a bevel back on it with a silicone wheel. I didn't have the heart to tell him he had undone what I had just tried to accomplish. Was I on the right track thinning the blade until the bevel was gone? I'll look for Jackies video, thanks.