View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
TFNG,
I see the handle of a believe is an ice chisel in one picture. That loop on the top of the chisel is for a rope that you put around your wrist as you are chopping ice. You will save your self the price of a new chisel with that small piece of rope. I know as I planted a chisel one time in about 12 feet of water and could not hook it to get it back . Hope fully you are doing this already but not seeing a rope in the loop I thought that I would mention this. With the price of beaver one can't afford any extra costs. Trap safe around those lodges and good luck. This goes for any of our new under the ice beaver trappers as well.

.Good trapping TEH
Thanks for looking out for me TEH. I do have a rope on that chisel, it was a very expensive chisel. If I remember correctly about $175 and I sure don't want to lose it. I removed the rope to tie to the leg of that big beaver so I could drag him around in the snow to dry him off without being stooped over. The rope is back on the chisel.

I remember as a kid chopping old holes open for ice fishing with dads axe, it went real good until I got to a fresher one and I threw his axe into a hundred feet of water the first swing. Sorry dad lol.

I posted a pic of this chisel last year but thought I would post another for guys to see. It's useless for chiseling thin ice when opening a hole to check, it just pokes holes in the ice. It really shines when enlarging holes or busting big blocks of ice it removes very large chunks of ice with each hit. It works best when there is a bit of a hole already so the ice has somewhere to expand into. I carry two chisels with me.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-25-2016 at 10:23 AM.