View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM

All this mamby pamby about what calibre or rifle is best. Speed kills etc etc isn't worth a hill of beans unless you factor in the aging process, health, (such as arthritis and others) and think of where you'll be 20-30 yrs down the road. I can tell you from personal experience that a light weight rifle with minimum jolt is where a certain % of us will be. I have the 300 and owned four 7mm,s over the years and they recoil. Some not as bad as others. My Sako 300 is the best shooter I've ever owned and it's felt recoil on a bench is very palatable. As I,ve said on here before, it is relegated to the safe because it gets damn heavy after a couple of miles. I just wanted to throw this in for the guy with the original question. Factor in the weight of the rifle as well, or, like others, you may have to go lighter later. I don't know why but the 7mm seemed to me to knock animals down better for some reason. Another funny one was that I've shot a few deer with a 375 and it did less damage than a 25-06. Go figure. I know this won't help too much on your decision as to 7mm or 300. I like them both. Politically Correct.