View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Default 7mm vs 300

Go to the range with a box of shells for both calibres. More than likely. someone on the firing line will be shooting one or the other. Introduce yourself and ask them if you can pound a few rounds. See which you like best and which is more comfortable to shoot.

I hunt mostly deer and elk on open country so I prefer the 7MM mag. Fast and flat with good accuracy. "Stubblejumper" made a good comment, 140-180 grain will drop anything you are looking at, providing you are comfortable shooting the gun, know your ballistics, and place your shot. There are plenty of reasonable off-the-shelf loads available. For years I only ever shot the cheap, Federal Power Shok loads. $20 per box and always a successful hunt or day at the range. However, I can think of 5 friends who jumped on the 7Mag bandwagon and found it was too much recoil and barrel jump for them to handle. I have also seen too many guys at the range with 7Mags that can't control their rifles. Groupings like a shotgun pattern.

RE: 300 Win Mag: I like the range of bullet weights on the 300, and its impact power on moose within the 200 metre range.