View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Hooks like that with a large gap and short shank should be good. Has this been happening consistently over several days? I find that some days (or even times of the day) the feeding will be less aggressive and I'll miss many takes on whatever fly I'm using, but at other times they seem more committed and I hook up every time.
The last couple days at a specific lake. The lake is fairly small with a large density of 12-14” fish (pre-stocking). It seems like the fish can throw the hook after one or two light head shakes, and they feel like this smaller size class. I seem to be able to set the hook and land larger fish (> 14”) easier. Maybe just less aggressive fish that have a large amount of food available (I did a throat sampling and there was easily 5+ different chironomid sizes and colours plus damsel and may fly nymph, and a water boatman), that makes sense to me. I think I just need to do a better job of setting the hook right when the indicator moves. Only seem to have this problem with chironomids lately, not leeches, nymphs, etc...