View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM

All the cartridges listed in the posts are relivant to your aspiration of having one gun that can bring down Deer, Elk and Moose. I've shot most if not all of cartridges listed over the course of this post. With the exception of the 7M-08.

I've placed a 7MRM case against a 300 Win mag case and the 300 is slightly longer. So the 300 Win Mag it is capable of using a little more powder.

I've successfully shot moose out to 600 yards with the 300 Win Mag 180 gain, and thus fulfilled the lethal disposition of my freezer.

I have sighted in the 7MRM with 175 grain softpoints as I consider it an Elk and Moose gun, and it does have kick to it, perhaps a little less then a 300 Win Mag.

If you want to feel less recoil then a 280 or a 30-06 is enough gun and puts out less recoil then a 7MRM or a 300 WM. Iv'e been successful with a 30-06 out to 400 yards on a bull moose. My thougths are that a 270 is a little on the light side for Elk and Moose, but I'm sure it could do the job.

I'd lean towards a little less recoil, like a 30-06, a good accurate bullet/load and a good scope. Spend some time getting used to shooting your gun, and always sight it in before your hunt. Most shots are usually closer then what I mentioned above, but it'sx always good to know what one can do with a decent rifle.