View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Also check the Co-op if there's one near you. I found the best prices and selection there (Stony Plain), after going to Peavy Mart and UFA (where I found best price for t-posts). Found a good website (http://www.electric-deer-fence.com/d...t-line-p-2.htm) dedicated to e-fences for deer and took most advice there. Also saw the food plot video. There are lots of videos and ideas.

We set up a two-wire fence around our garden and it worked. We saw deer being shocked and avoiding the fence. One thing to remember is that you shouldn't place the wire too high because if the deer decides to jump the fence (they eventually will) and brushes the wire on the way over, it won't get shocked because its feet aren't touching the ground. We are following the advice on the website above and waiting for the deer to figure out they can jump over and then place second fence with one wire 3 feet in front of the first. The idea being the deer can't figure out how to jump both fences at the same time. We'll see.

We've tried it all over the years. Planting so-called repellent plants, lights, flashy tape, but the deer eventually figure out how to get around them. This is the first year in a long time that we had no problems from "hoodlums."

Tks D/M for the informative post, I'm planning on going to Red Deer tomorrow to see what's available for a Zip'n HD voltage critter fence, perhaps we'll also get rid of a few black/white feral cats, too.

Cheers

D.