View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
This is the whole argument I have been making for quite a while now.

Wabamun, Ste. Anne, Pigeon are already 0 limit on Pike. Now adding Buck and Sylvan. Guess where all the meat fishermen are going to be next year? Every year fisheries converges the catch and keep fishing pressure on fewer and fewer lakes. That is not a management strategy that will ever work.

As far as I am concerned they need to try opening everything up to limited retention with protective size restrictions(be it minimum sizes, slots or a combo depending on location). 5-10 years down the road if it is obvious that it isn't working then at that time make everything tags/C&R. Its a last ditch attempt cause what they are currently doing is obviously not working.
I wouldn't have saw this is Bobalong had not quoted you.

You missed my point. It was simply don't forget about Gull and please include it in reduced limits to recover. Not some argument to open retention province-wide. As I already stated, that is obviously not going to happen. Write all the letters you want to the powers that be but the argument is dead here.

I hope they do look at Gull as the 3 over 63 cm is too liberal imho. My experience is that it has really changed a lot including over the past 5 years. Hard to find many over 7-8 lbs and even harder to find over 10 lb pike. It could really use a rest from retention.

That said, Gull is one resilient lake with great recruitment. With all the pressure it still continues on. I do believe it is one lake that can recover more quickly than most. I hope they give it some attention.

As well, I’m glad they are considering closing retention on Sylvan. I’m supportive of that. Ole Molly needs protection
That is one lake, like Wabamun, that could really be an excellent quality / trophy pike fishery.