View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I have to agree and disagree.

I believe there has to be balance and opportunity to harvest fish in Alberta...however I stress that simply defining fishing as a harvesting activity is false.

Many people fish L. Kan for big bull trout because of the recreational aspect of the activity. Others fish southern Alberta for Arctic Grayling because they love fishing even though their is zero harvest.

You can not reasonably define fishing as solely the harvesting of fish. That is not what defines it otherwise people would just go to the grocery store and save a ton of money on gas, lodging, tackle, bait etc. What sells the activity is the recreational benefits and enjoyment. To improve on the recreational enjoyment would impact a larger portion of the population IMHO that improving on the harvest.
Still...I would not vote for a zero harvest throughout the Province. Like I was taught as a kid...moderation is always the key. Never swing too far to either extreme. Keeping balance by providing options and sound management in our sport serves more people than making the whole province catch and release or the whole province a fish harvesting free for all.
thats your opinion Sun.....some fisherman enjoy everything you state and the climax is harvesting a fish for supper. Use Climax in another activity and maybe you'll understand. Stop telling people what they like or should like according to the book of Sun, if a person wants to spend money for gas lodging bait and bonk a fish...thats his business. No where does he need you to show him the directions to the grocery store.
most importantly TJ's points are dead to rights....you cant even present a arguement to his facts......without a harvest there is no fishing