View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post
I love it when politicians spin their ideas. They are looking at putting an incentive in place to encourage older workers to stay in the work force longer.

The Oxford dictionary defines “Incentive” as “a motive or incitement; a payment or concession to stimulate greater output in workers”

I don’t see raising the age of eligibility for retirement benefits as being an incentive. It certainly could be effective, but it is a stick, not a carrot.

Additionally my workplace currently stope all the health benefits at age 65. I sure hope that gets changed along with the incentive.
Well the government doesn't control how your employee group benefits are handled and second the only benefit that stops at 65 is disability and life insurance decreases by 50% at age 65. Otherwise benefit typically go until and 70 or retirement but often that is being opened up to 75 or 85 even as our workforce is remaining working for longer.

I personally don't mind the retirement rollback as its simple that people are living healthier for longer, working longer and living longer. I honestly don't understand how someone can retire in their 50's unless they have a pile of money and in that case they shouldn't care much about this either.
If I didn't work I would be out of money in no time unless you make significant lifestyle changes with all the free time spending money would be too easy. Only in my 30's myself I know I shouldn't talk much on this but in my mind I plan to work as long as possible maybe a semi retirement or something but I plan for that to go into my 70's.