View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Cell phone rules are the same for truckers as for car drivers.
Were allowed to use the CB for business purposes. Actually CB's are a bit different in that they transmit a voice with out having to do anything except have it on. It means then that i dont have to return a message if im in a situation where i maybe shouldnt use it. They actually often i believe save accidents as many times im given info from oncoming trucker about a accident or road blocked up ahead over a hill or around a corner where i cant see at the time. Giving me time to get her slowed up and get in which ever lane thats freed up without upsetting the flow of traffic.
There are situations where one has to try get around a slow vehicle like maybe a combine etc. where it looks as though we are taking risks but a trucker up front is actually letting us know that its clear to go etc. I drove semi back when there were no CB's. Not sure how we did without them,they really are a tool on the road for us. The range they get out is only around a mile or 2, so one going south and one going north your not in contact long enough to actually pull over anyhow.
Anyway just giving info for any interested.
Incidentally im going into my 50th year trucking with somewhere around 6,000,000 big ones under the belt accident free and can eat ,drink coffee talk on CB whatever but im real sketchy about using the cell. I find it distracts me a bit too much. Not sure why but its not a good thing to use cell and drive anyway. Hopefully thats coming from a pro or at least id like to think im a pro