View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Minnewanka is a unique fishery, in that we are very fortunate to have an excellent lake trout fishery in such close proximity to a major city (1 1/2 hr from Calgary). Factor in the good parking, boat launch, guide services, rental boat opportunities and the outstanding scenery there, and it makes for an outstanding day excursion.

It's also unique in that Canada's national parks still make an exception in permitting people to fish at all! You are not permitted to pick berries or take home a stick, stone or antler you find in the park - yet you're able to catch and kill native fish. Many, including some park biologists, would like to see fishing totally banned in our parks, and the current park ban on motorized watercraft extended to include Minnewanka. If Minnewanka's laker population was under stress in any way, Parks Canada would shut down the fishery in a heartbeat.

Minnewanka's lakers can definitely be vulnerable to over harvest at times, particularly in the spring when in shallow water. Please come out and take advantage of the fishery and fully enjoy the entire day experience - perhaps include a hike, other area attractions or Banff or Canmore's shopping and museums. But once you figure out Minnewanka's lakers, please don't treat this fishery like a grocery store - hitting it hard and repeatedly to fill a freezer. Appreciate and pursue the experience of all this backyard gem has to offer, and you'll help perpetuate both the lakers, and parks permission to pursue them!
Thumper, thanks for the info I couldn't agree with you more! As far as keeping the lakers I would be just catch and release fishing. Not that I don't eat fish but I rarely keep any for the dinner table. If I did it would be a Walleye, I prefer them over any trout or salmon. More less would just like to catch a few of those lakers and enjoy the amazing scenery!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....